Tuesday 4 May 2010

Georgette and the Dragon



Today I was at my usual screenprinting class in Leeds and once I had finished there, I arrived home and finished these two images you see today.

They are my own take on the George and the Dragon story.Both of them started out as sketches or doodles from about a year or two ago. For several weeks I have been adapting them, and tweaking them as an aside to my main creative projects.

I always wish to have some artworks that commemorate St. George's day-England's national day. For some reason I never seem to complete the appropriate images in time, though St. George's day does tend to pass me by anyhow.

It is always rewarding to create work, that is inspired by mythology and folk tales. This is not something I often do, though I do read a great deal of myths,legends, wundermarchen and suchlike. My dissertation was on fairytales and folktales so it only follows suit that I should sometimes be creating work that is affected by this.

Dragon tales are known the world over, and exist as good, bad, magical, symbolic, greedy, benign, and mischievous. Creationists even believe they are based on actual common knowledge in ancient times of the existence of dinosaurs alongside more commonplace creatures such as oxen, cats, and wolves. It would be nice to think that people actually encountered dinosaurs or dragons and that even a few are still out there.

Enjoy my addition to the dragon pantheon. Another dragon tale for the history books: 'Georgette and the Dragon.'

No comments:

Post a Comment